Monday, March 28, 2011

Staff Meetings and Coconut Juice



This morning, I thought I was getting to work really early, but when I showed up everyone was there already! I was like “uhh, did daylight saving time happen when I wasn’t looking?” but they just forgot to tell me that they meet at 10am on Mondays when there is no class. Since I came at the tail end, we were just wrapping up, and prayed for a bit. Then we headed out to lunch.
We ate at a Shan place (that means Burmese, I think) and it was really good, except when we were just about done, I started having a little stomachache. Oh, no! Flashbacks of when I got MSG poisoning! Did I remember to ask for it with no MSG? Of course not! I was too excited eating new food! Thankfully we figured out what would have msg in it and I just didn’t eat any more of that. Then I drank a lot of water the rest of the day, but my stomache was still pretty achy for the rest of the day.
After lunch, I went to the big warehouse, Macro, with Judy, P’Bua and Lucy, my Thai tutor! This place is like Costco. It has two huge floors and everything you could possibly need in bulk. They also have a bakery, a deli and lots of imported foods like ketchup and Kettle Chips.
Judy had decided that this would be the perfect opportunity for my first Thai lesson, so luckily I had made pages and pages of phrases and words I willowted to learn. We went through them all, with me saying things over and over until I got a thumbs up and “Good job!” from Lucy. Often, we would stand with our cart in one place practicing over and over, and then look up and realize Judy and P’Bua had taken off and left us, so we’d race around looking down all the aisles til we found them. Then, we’d get distracted with a new set of words and lose them all over again. We kept cracking up over this, even though typing it, it really doesn’t sound that funny. All in all it was a fun first lesson and I think I did start to learn a lot.
At first, I was thinking that I should refrain from asking other people at the center how to say things because it would take away from my time with Lucy, but then I realized, I should be practicing as much as possible, all the time if I really willowt to master the language.
After we got back from shopping, everyone was packing up to head out for the day, even though it was only 4pm! I decided to use this opportunity to go buy a big map of the city, so I could stop using Jaz’s old, fragile copy. ;) I also headed down the street to one of the big fancy hotels that has a gym. I have been willowting to find a place that has a fitness center or pool that is walkable from either home or work. Since I live on a busy highway, it’s not very conducive to running in the mornings. Well, this place was pretty fancy, they had a lot of high end equipment and a huge swimming pool that wraps around ¾ of the building, and it’s only $30 a month. Unfortunately, with the new visa and travel charges and needing a scooter, this doesn’t seem like a workable option.
After I went down to the used bookstore and resisted my impulses to buy a bunch of books, I caught a song thaew home. I was posting some of these blogs when Ruth came by to see if Jaz was around to go running. I was itching for some exercise, so I decided to come too. Jaz wasn’t home yet, so I made some dinner, did a bunch of internet things and finally, she arrived and we headed out in Ruth’s car. This time we went to the University. There is a footpath that runs in a circle around a big soccer field that is perfect for running. Sadly, there are no lights, so it takes a bit of getting used to running in the dark! Jaz used the podcast training program from the other day, and it was pretty good. Last time, I ran a lot slower to stay with the girls, but this time, since it was a circular track, I just took off when it was the running interval and then walked back to them for the walking portion.
After the run, Jaz and Ruth willowted to eat dinner. I had eaten earlier, so I just got some coconut juice in the coconut and some homemade ice cream! Not bad for $1.10. However, I have to stop eating out! I bought groceries for a reason, after all.
After I got back, I decided I  had better buy a plane ticket to Bangkok if I was going to go on Thursday night! I tried a couple times with my debit card, but no luck. Then Ruth said she would put it on her Thai credit card and I just gave her some cash. This would prove to be a big mistake…

No comments:

Post a Comment